Friday, June 15, 2018

For Father's Day: 60 Minutes


In the '70s and part of the '80s, my father was an avid watcher of the CBS news magazine show 60 Minutes. This show, still present on TV even today, featured investigative reports and interviews into important issues of the day. Although still on the TV schedule today, in the '70s (a time before 24 hour cable news networks, and various channels devoted to social and political issues) it occupied an even more important place as a source of reports which looked more deeply into issues. A high school history teacher with a keen interest in history, current events, and political ideas, my father would always be found glued to the television every Sunday at 7:00 pm.  

Unfortunately for me, as a young kid, 60 Minutes was scheduled directly opposite The Wonderful World of Disney, which I always wanted to watch, but rarely got to see due to my Dad's control of the TV.  Nevertheless, eventually, my Dad would transfer to me his love and interest in ideas, and I too would obtain an interest in factual programming about issues and ideas. Such would come to be a usual source of our talks and interaction, much more so than sports or entertainment, and such continues to be so today when we get together. I present to you this brief 60 Minutes clip from 1976, in honor of my Dad, and of Fathers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment